Part bread part cake with that essential icing, this Boston Bun or Sally Lunn Bun is a perfect accompaniment alongside your favorite hot beverage.
320 grams / 2 cups plain flour
8 grams / 2 teaspoons baking powder
3 grams / 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
210 grams / 1 cup mashed potato
150 grams / 3/4 cup superfine/caster sugar
155 grams / 2/3 cup milk
80 grams / 1/2 cup sultanas or raisins
30 grams / 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
170 grams / 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s/icing sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons milk
22 grams / 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- Greaseproof a round baking tin and preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl and stir together, making a well in the center. Set aside.
- Press the mashed potato through a sift to get it nice and fine into a separate bowl and combine with the sugar until well combined and smooth.
- Add in the milk and and sultanas or raisins and stir until the milk is fully incorporated.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold until combined and the mixture is slightly shaggy.
- With floured hands lift the dough out of the bowl and shape into a round loaf.
- Place into your tin and bake until golden all over, approximately 50 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- While the bread is still warm, prepare the icing by placing the butter, confectioner’s sugar and milk into a bowl and beat with a whisk until smooth and combined,
- Smear over the top of your loaf and sprinkle over the desiccated coconut evenly.
- Allow to cool fully.
- Slice and serve with a cup of your favorite hot beverage on the side.
Recipe by Roamingtaste
- Calories: 309 calories per serve