- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s/icing sugar
- 170 grams/6 ounces butter, cubed
- 3 stalks rhubarb stalks, chopped into 1 1/2 inch length
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups blackberries, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup superfine/caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350F.
- In a bowl place the flour, coconut and confectioner’s sugar. Stir to combine. Add in the cubed butter and mix with a fork or use your fingers to work the butter through the mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add in 2/3 of the mixture to a baking dish and even out. Bake in the oven until slightly brown on top, approximately 12 minutes, remove and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the chopped rhubarb in a saucepan and add the water and the caster sugar. Place on low to medium heat and cover for 5 minutes, stirring every few minutes to ensure even cooking.
- Remove the lid and turn the heat to medium high, allowing to simmer until cooked through, approximately 5 minutes.
- Once soft, remove from the heat and set aside to cool. Mix the blackberries and rhubarb together and pour over the base.
- Grab spoonfuls of the remaining crumb mixture and distribute the remaining third evenly over the top of the fruit.
- Return to the oven and bake for a further 30 minutes or until lightly golden on top.
- Remove and allow to cool fully before slicing and serving.
- Serve with lightly whipped cream or as is.
Recipe by Roamingtaste
- Serving Size: Makes 12 bars