This bright Lemon Bars with Shortbread Crust recipe includes a buttery base and lemon curd topping for a great zesty treat.
140 grams / 4.9 ounces butter, room temperature
200 grams / 1 1/4 cups plain flour
250 grams / 1 1/4 cups superfine/caster sugar
1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely chopped
30 grams / 1/4 cup corn starch, sifted
153 grams / 2/3 cup lemon juice, fresh
80 grams / 4 large egg yolks, room temperature
200 milliliters / 1 cup - 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350F and line a baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Place the flour and butter into a bowl and beat on low until the mixture looks like a rough crumble and no piece of butter is larger than a pea.
- Spoon into your baking dish and press firmly until even.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12 minutes or until ever so slightly golden.
- Remove and allow to cool fully and lower the oven temperature to 140C/285F.
- Place the sugar and lemon zest into a bowl and rub together to coat the zest thoroughly with sugar and draw out the oils in the peel.
- Toss into a small saucepan and add the corn starch and lemon juice placing on medium heat, stirring swiftly with a spatula until thickened and it has gone from looking cloudy to more transparent.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and heavy cream in a separate bowl until combined.
- Remove from the heat and add in the egg and cream mixture, whisking swiftly to combine.
- Return to the heat and stir constantly until bubbling and thickened, approximately 3 minutes.
- Strain, if required, though not essential, on top of your shortbread base and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until only slightly jiggly.
- Remove and allow to cool completely and then chill for several hours or preferably overnight.
- Slice into thick pieces and serve up.
- Sprinkle over a little confectioner's or icing sugar.
- Dig in!
Recipe by Roamingtaste
- Calories: 233 calories per serve
Keywords: bars, lemon baking, lemon curd recipe