A lemon drizzle loaf cake is unassuming, but bursting with flavor thanks to the zest being rubbed into the sugar and that lemon glaze. This is a perfect snack cake for those days where you want something quick to whip up with simple ingredients.
Lemon sponge cake
200 grams / 1 cup superfine/caster sugar
5 grams / 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely chopped
200 grams / 7 ounces butter, room temperature
165 grams / 3 eggs, room temperature and lightly beaten
200 grams / 1 ¼ cups plain flour, sifted
6 grams / 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
115 grams / 1 cup confectioner’s/icing sugar, sifted
21 grams / 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
Lemon sponge cake
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F and lightly greaseproof a loaf tin, lining the base with greaseproof paper.
- Place the sugar and lemon zest into a bowl and rub together to coat the zest thoroughly with sugar and draw out the oils in the peel.
- Add the butter and eggs and beat until pale and fluffy, approximately 3 minutes with an electric beater.
- Add the flour and baking powder to your mixture and beat on low until just combined.
- Spoon your batter into your loaf tin and spread out evenly.
- Place in the oven and bake until golden and slightly pulling away from the sides of the tin, approximately 55 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning onto a cooling rack.
- Whilst the cake is still warm, place the confectioner’s sugar and lemon juice into a small bowl and stir together until it drizzles off your spoon when you lift it up.
- Slowly and surely drizzle over your lightly warm cake and allow to cool fully to set.
- Slice it up and serve with your favorite hot beverage.
- Dig in!
Recipe by Roamingtaste
- Calories: 396 calories per serve