Sweet seed brittle is folded through this vegan banana bread recipe that is full of banana flavor and topped with a caramelized crushed brittle.
50 grams / 1/4 cup superfine/caster sugar
18 grams / 2 tablespoons mixed seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, chia, linseeds)
3 medium bananas, peeled
24 grams / 2 tablespoons brown sugar
72 grams / 1/3 cup coconut oil
20 grams / 2 tablespoons chia seeds
50 grams / 5 tablespoons water
320 grams / 2 cups plain flour
6 grams / 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
5 grams / 1 teaspoon baking soda
74 grams / 1/2 cup seed brittle, crushed
1 large banana, peeled
- Line a baking tray with silipat sheet or greaseproof paper and brush coconut oil over the surface (if you don’t the brittle will stick).
- Place the sugar in a saucepan pan on medium heat, stirring consistently until brown, approximately 4 minutes, add the seeds and stir through swiftly.
- Pour onto the tray and spread as thin as possible swiftly as it will set within a minute.
- Set aside to cool.
- Grind the brittle up in a blender until it is a fine powder and set aside.
- For the bread, preheat the oven to 180C/360F and line your loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Place the chia seeds and water into a small bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Place the bananas in a bowl and mash until smooth.
- Add in the brown sugar and whisk to combine until smooth.
- Pour in the coconut oil and whisk until well combined.
- Add the chia mixture and whisk to combine until smooth.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons of the crushed brittle aside in a small bowl.
- Place the flour, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl stir to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients into your banana mixture and fold together until your batter has formed and no dry portions remain in the bowl.
- Spoon into your baking tin and smooth out.
- Slice the fresh banana in half and lay cut side on top and sprinkle the two tablespoons of seed brittle on top
- Place in the oven to bake for 50 minutes until a skewer comes out clean and golden on top.
- Remove and allow to cool fully.
- Slice and serve.
Recipe by Roamingtaste
- Calories: 246 calories per serve
Keywords: banana baking, vegan baking, seeds in baking