The combination of the buttery pistachio base, swirled caramel and custard filling and topped with homemade blueberry sauce makes these quite unforgettable
1/3 cup pistachios, finely chopped
160 grams / 1 cup plain flour
25 grams / 1/4 cup confectioner’s/icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
90 grams / 3.1 ounces butter, chilled and cubed
500 grams / 17 ounces custard
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 heaped tablespoons caramel or dulce de leche
2 cups blueberries
2 tablespoons superfine/caster sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350F and line a baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Place the pistachios, flour, confectioner’s sugar and salt into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the butter and combine with a fork until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Pour into the baking tin and press down to evenly flatten.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden on top. Remove and set aside.
- Place the custard and cornstarch into a saucepan on medium high heat, whisking until smooth and thickened, approximately 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the caramel sauce in a small dish until warm.
- Pour the custard mixture into the into the baking tray, carefully spoon over the caramel in heaped spoonfuls and marble with a skewer or toothpick over the entire surface of the custard.
- Place into the oven bake for a further 20 minutes or until slightly golden around the edges and only jiggly in the center.
- Remove and allow to cool to room temperature and then refrigerate for a minimum 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the blueberries in a pot on the lowest heat and cover. Allow to cook, stirring until soft and juicy, add the cornstarch and whisk until smooth on medium heat.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes at room temperature. Spoon the berries over the caramel custard and refrigerate for minimum 30 minutes.
- Remove and slice into bars.
- Refrigerate until serving.
Removing the pistachios: If you don’t like pistachios or cannot eat them, you can simply sub in a further 46 grams/1/3 cup flour for the shortbread base.
Type of custard: Store bought custard is easiest in this, however, you could most definitely use homemade custard.
Light caramel flavor in these bars: The caramel flavor is light in the custard so as to not overpower the blueberry topping or make this too sweet, however, if you love caramel you could most definitely add a further tablespoon, though I recommend trying the recipe as it is first and then amending as per this suggestion.
Recipe by Roamingtaste