Fudge is a beloved candy that is made with brown butter to add a depth to the caramel flavor with flecks of vanilla swirled through to make this an unusual fudge that will impress people.
3 1/2 cups white sugar
125 grams/4.4 ounces brown butter
1/2 cup milk
Pinch of salt
200 milliliters sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon vanilla seeds
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Prepare a tin with greaseproof paper and set aside.
- Place the sugar, butter, milk, salt and sweetened condensed milk into a saucepan on medium heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Allow to simmer on low to medium heat for approximately 13 minutes or until it has reached the soft ball stage (this is easiest with a candy thermometer).
- Remove from the heat, add in the vanilla seeds and extract and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Beat on medium for 10 minutes until the fudge has lost its gloss and is creamy and lighter. It might seem like it’s not coming together, but will do so right at the end.
- Pour into the prepared tin and allow to set for an hour or overnight.
- Slice into cubes and serve.
Adapted from Chelsea