Steaks are marinated in fresh citrus juice and served alongside fresh salsa and a little crumbly queso in this traditional street taco dish of Carne Asada.
Carne Asada Marinade
1 kilo / 2 pounds steak
150 milliliters / 2/3 cup orange juice
80 milliliters / 1/3 cup lime juice
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
Salt and Pepper
12 corn tortillas
2 tablespoons crumbly cheese like queso fresco
- Place the juices, cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper into a bowl and combine.
- Place the steak into a shallow bowl and pour the marinade over the top, you want it to cover the steak completely.
- Marinate for at least an hour, but the longer you leave it the more tender the meat will become so if you can allow to marinate for at least 2 hours or even overnight, these will taste that much better.
- Place a little oil in a frying pan and place on medium high heat and add the steaks to the pan, cooking to your preference, these taste best medium rare.
- Slice thinly and serve on top of the warmed tortillas.
- Spoon some salsa on top and serve immediately.
Marinating your steak: If you have plenty of time to marinate the steaks you can begin the marinade up to two days earlier which would make the meat incredibly tender, however, you would need one large piece of steak as opposed to one or two smaller pieces of beef.
Serve with a side of fresh salsa: The beauty of street tacos is how quickly they can be made using the freshest ingredients so you will most definitely want to make a fresh salsa to accompany this
Adapted from Cooking Mexican Recipes