This meatless Vegan Shepherdless Pie recipe is a twist on a British classic has plenty of flavor to satisfy even those who don't have dietary preferences.
400 grams / 14 ounce can black beans, rinsed
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
1/2 leek, finely sliced and halved
2 scallions, finely sliced
1 carrot, peeled and finely cubed
2 roma tomatoes, finely chopped
1 vegetable bouillon
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
3 large portobello mushrooms, roughly chopped
100 milliliters / 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon non dairy milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon curry powder
- Place the onions in a saucepan with a little olive oil on low heat for approximately 3 minutes, stirring until lightly cooked.
- Add in the garlic, leek and scallions and stir until lightly cooked, approximately 3 minutes. Add in the cubed carrots and stir, cooking for a further 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the sweet potatoes in a saucepan with enough water to cover and heat on high. Cook until soft when pierced. Drain 3/4 of water and add the other half tablespoon vegetable broth. Continue cooking on low for approximately 3 minutes.
- Place the black beans in a saucepan with half a cup of water and add 1/2 the vegetable broth on low heat to simmer and reduce for 5 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, stirring to combine and cook on a simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, leek, scallions and carrot to the black beans. Continue cooking for 10 minutes to blend the flavors together, stirring every few minutes.
- Heat the oven to 150°C/300F on grill.
- Add the mushrooms to the black beans and stir to combine. Seasoning to taste.
- Pour the milk, olive oil and curry powder and mash until smooth.
- Place the black beans vegetable mix in a heatproof baking dish and spoon the mashed sweet potatoes on top. Running a fork over the top.
- Place the black beans in a heatproof baking dish and spoon the mashed sweet potatoes on top. Running a fork over the top.
- Grill in the oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Serve immediately, with a salad or on it’s own.
Recipe by Romingtaste
- Calories: 387 calories per serve
Keywords: vegan, bean bolognese