The recipe for these Key Lime Bars requires quick prep and is sweet and zesty with it’s caramelized top adding a twist to this classic dish.
150 grams / 5.3 ounces graham crackers, crushed
50 grams / 1.75 ounces butter, melted
4 egg yolks
414 mililiters / 1 can sweetened condensed milk
120 milliliters / 1/2 cup heavy cream
100 milliliters / 1/3 cup key lime juice
28 grams / 2 tablespoons superfine/caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375F and line a square tin with greaseproof paper.
- Place the crushed biscuits and melted butter and stir until no dry portions remain in the bowl and the mixture resembles a rough breadcrumb.
- Spoon into your tin and press down firmly.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes until lightly golden.
- For the filling, place the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and heavy cream in a bowl and beat on low to break the egg yolks and get the mixture smooth, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add in the lime juice and beat on medium until thick and pale, approximately 2 minutes.
- Pour the into the cooled crust, cover and place in the oven until only jiggly in the center, approximately for 20 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool completely before refrigerating for a minimum of 3 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, slice into your bars and sprinkle over the 2 tablespoons sugar evenly on top.
- Blowtorch to caramelize or place under the broiler until bubbling and golden.
- Serve up!
Recipe by Roamingtaste
- Calories: 258 calories per serve
Keywords: bars, spring, citrus