This recipe for rice pudding pancakes comes from the Danes and will equally satisfy rice pudding and pancake enthusiasts. A nice change from the standard stack of pancakes that will surprise you with it’s simplicity and how good it tastes.
1/2 cup pudding rice
125 milliliters/1/2 cup water
580 milliliters/2 1/3 cups milk
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
46 grams/1/3 cup flour
- Place the rice and water in a pot and cook for 1 minute, add the milk and salt and stir through.
- Simmer on low-medium heat until the rice is cooked, approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool fully.
- Place the rice pudding, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and flour in a bowl and combine until smooth.
- Melt half a teaspoon of butter in a frying pan on medium heat and place a tablespoonful of the batter and cook until bubbling, approximately 1 minute, flip and cook a further minute or until lightly golden on both sides.
- Continue cooking the remaining batter until complete.
- Serve with jam.
Type of rice: The usual rice for rice pudding is arborio or risotto rice as its a shorter grain that is perfect for creamy dishes.
Rice pudding can be made ahead: The rice pudding can easily be made ahead to speed things up, especially if you have busy plans on a weekend morning, just make sure to refrigerate the rice pudding and take it out and allow it to come to room temperature for 15 minutes before cooking.
Adapted from Nordic Food Living