Creamy rice pudding and fluffy pancakes combine in this delectable Rice Pudding Pancakes recipe. This delightful twist on a classic breakfast treat will have you coming back for seconds!
98 grams / 1/2 cup arborio rice
125 milliliters / 1/2 cup water
580 milliliters / 2 1/3 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
110 grams / 2 medium eggs, room temperature
14 grams / 1 tablespoon superfine/caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
46 grams / 1/3 cup plain flour
79 grams / 1/4 cup berry jam
- Place your rice, water, milk and salt in a saucepan on medium low heat, stirring to combine.
- Cook uncovered, stirring every 3-5 minutes until the rice is soft when pinch between your fingers and the rice pudding is thick but the liquid has cooked off. This will take approximately 25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool fully.
- For the pancakes, place the rice pudding, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and flour into a bowl and stir to form your pancake batter until smooth.
- Place a heavy based frying pan on medium heat and add in 1/2 teaspoon butter, adding in 1/2 ladleful of the pancake batter.
- Cook until the top edges of your pancake are bubbling and it feels firm when you slide a spatula beneath your pancake, approximately 2 minutes.
- Flip and continue cooking the remaining side for a further 2 minutes until golden.
- Plate up or cover to keep warm as you continue cooking the remaining batter.
- Plate a stack up with a spoonful or two of jam on top.
- Dig in!
- Arborio rice: The usual rice for rice pudding is arborio or risotto rice as its a shorter grain that doesn't needing washing because we want those starches to thicken up the liquids.
- Milk: This needs a lot of milk and whole milk was used here for the ultimate creaminess in the pancakes. You could absolutely substitute or use non dairy milk here.
- Customize to your heart’s content: Feel free to add your favorite spices like cinnamon or nutmeg, or even mix in some raisins or chopped nuts for added texture and flavor.
- Make the rice pudding ahead: Simply refrigerate the rice pudding and take it out and allow it to come to room temperature for 15 minutes before making your batter.
Adapted from Nordic Food Living
- Serving Size: 6 pancakes
- Calories: 334 calories per serve
Keywords: breakfast, danish recipe