Crisp on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside is this Kokosbusserl - Austrian Coconut Meringue Cookies recipe that is gluten free and only needs a few ingredients, making it the perfect addition to a cookie box.
225 grams / 6 large egg whites, room temperature
265 grams / 2 1/3 cups confectioner’s/icing sugar, sifted
5 grams / 1 teaspoon lemon juice
300 grams / 3 1/3 cups desiccated coconut
- Preheat your oven to 160C/320F and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Place your egg whites into a large clean and dry bowl and beat until stiff.
- Toss in a heaped tablespoonful of your sugar and beat until combined.
- Repeat, adding in your sugar until it has been fully incorporated.
- Add in your lemon juice and beat to combine fully.
- Toss in your desiccated coconut and fold until well combined.
- Scoop up a tablespoon portion of the meringue mixture and invert onto your baking tray.
- Place onto the tray, ensuring there is 1 1/2 inches between each cookie.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the cookies look matt in appearance and beginning to go golden on the edges.
- Allow to sit on your baking tray for 3 minutes before placing on a cooling rack.
- Serve up as is or dip the bases of your meringue cookies into melty chocolate.
- Dig in!
Adapted from Tourmycountry.com
- Calories: 196 calories per cookie
Keywords: meringue cookies, austrian baking, gluten free cookies