This Pinocchio Cake - Swedish Meringue Cake recipe has an egg yolk cake base with a light meringue topping that sandwiches whipped cream and berries between for a bright Swedish dessert that welcomes in Spring.
100 grams / 3.5 ounces butter, softened
50 grams / 1/4 cup superfine/caster sugar
3 egg yolks, room temperature
78 grams / 1/2 cup - 1 teaspoon plain flour
4 grams / 1 teaspoon baking powder
30 grams / 2 tablespoons milk
3 egg whites, room temperature
100 grams / 1/2 cup superfine/caster sugar
300 milliliters / 1 1/4 cups - 1 tablespoon heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
105 grams / 1/3 cup strawberry jam
400 grams / 14.1 ounces fresh strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
400 grams / 14.1 ounces fresh raspberries
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper with two equal rectangular outlines marked for the dessert (I used an 11 centimeter / 4 inch x 20 centimeter / 8 inch loaf tin to stencil onto my paper (see FAQ’s). Set aside.
- Place the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat until pale and fluffy, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add in one egg yolk and whip until combined.
- Repeat with the remaining egg yolks.
- In a small separate bowl, toss the flour and baking powder and stir together.
- Add 1/4 of the flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture and 1/4 of the milk and fold until smooth.
- Repeat by adding in the flour and milk in portions and folding until your batter has been formed.
- Spoon batter and spread evenly to 1/4 inch thickness within the marked areas on your tray and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the egg whites into a clean and dry bowl and whip until soft peaks form, approximately 3 minutes.
- Continue whipping, adding in 1-2 tablespoons of the sugar until dissolved, approximately 30-45 seconds of whipping.
- Repeat with the remaining sugar until fully incorporated and your meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Spoon the meringue evenly on top of your egg yolk mixture.
- Bake in the oven until the exterior is lightly golden, approximately 25 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool completely.
Topping and Assembly
- Place one of the desserts onto your serving plate and top with whipped cream evenly.
- Spoon over the jam evenly before sprinkling over 3/4 of the strawberries and raspberries.
- Lay the remaining dessert on top and finish with the remaining fruit.
- Slice and serve.
- Dig in!
Adapted from Recept.se
- Calories: 428 calories per serve
Keywords: spring dessert, meringue, berry recipes