Get ready to elevate your sandwich game with our BLATS sandwich recipe! This delicious sandwich features crispy bacon, juicy tomatoes, fresh lettuce, creamy avocado, sprouts and tangy mayo all piled high on toasted bread. Our easy-to-follow recipe guide will show you how to create this delicious sandwich in the comfort of your own home. Perfect for lunch, dinner, or anytime in between, this BLATS sandwich is sure to become a new favorite. Check out our recipe and take your sandwich game to the next level today!
There’s a whole story to why this BLATS sandwich is here, but put simply, I was served this in 2016 in Los Angeles and it was so memorable that when I returned 6 months later I had to get another one of these sandwiches, however, the cafe had to shut due to a local development. The sad stuff of life in this world.
Anyway, the image posted on social media meant this sandwich became a solid fixture in my kitchen because BLATS is such an easy dish to create at home, including introducing my then boyfriend to this version of the classic sandwich. One day a little while later he created a picnic with this sandwich as the star dish during a sunset proposal.
Why you'll love these
Flavorful and Satisfying
This sandwich is packed with flavor and satisfying ingredients, including crispy bacon, juicy tomatoes, fresh lettuce, creamy avocado, sprouts and tangy mayo. It's a great way to enjoy a nutritious and delicious meal that will keep you fueled throughout the day.
Easy to Make
Despite its impressive flavor, this sandwich is actually quite easy to make. Our step-by-step recipe guide will walk you through every step, so you can create this delicious sandwich with confidence. It's a great option for anyone who wants a quick and easy meal that doesn't skimp on taste.
Versatile and Adaptable
This recipe is versatile and adaptable, so you can customize it to suit your taste preferences or dietary restrictions. You can use gluten-free bread or swap out the bacon for turkey or tofu bacon to make it vegetarian or vegan-friendly. It's a great option for anyone who wants a delicious and satisfying sandwich that can be tailored to their individual needs.
Ingredients and substitutions for BLATS Sandwich
- Bacon: Back bacon has less fat and is meatier than most other strips of bacon.
- Lettuce: Gem or iceberg lettuce works best here with the large leaves wrapping itself around the other sandwich parts.
- Tomatoes: A vine tomato was used here thanks to the fuller flavor and less watery than beefsteak tomatoes.
- Avocado: Hass avocado was used here due to how easy it is peel the thicker skin from the flesh. Once you remove the skin and pip, simply lay the avocado halves cut side down and slice. Fanning across your bread.
- Sprouts: The twist on BLATS and the core of why these sandwiches are called BLATS is with these sprouts. They add a complimentary flavor that makes these sandwiches with the freshness and crunch balancing out the richness of the avocado.
- Bread: Nice slices of wholegrain or sourdough work great here because this fantastic sandwich would not be complete without the best foundation.
- Mayonnaise: Kewpie mayo is the best in the game and so this is used here…you don’t want to be sparse. However, any mayo you have on hand would work beautifully here.
See recipe card for quantities.
Equipment needed to make
Oven tray: To bake the bacon strips.
Chopping board: For cutting those fresh ingredients.
Butter knife: For smearing the butter and mayo on your bread.
More sandwich recipes you’ll love
How to make BLATS Sandwich:
Preheat your oven to 220/430 and lay your bacon strips on a baking tray.
Place into the oven and bake for 6 minutes or until golden.
Remove and flip the strips and bake for a further 6 minutes and golden on the edges.
Place the strips onto paper towels to remove the grease.
Butter the base of your bread slices and lay your lettuce down, place the sliced tomato on top.
Add the alfalfa sprouts, sliced avocado and bacon on your sandwich.
Spread the mayonnaise on the other half of the bread and place on top of the bacon.
Halve and serve.
This BLATS Sandwich includes sprouts for a filling and savory sandwich that is full of fresh flavors.
4 sourdough or wholegrain bread slices
9 grams / 2 teaspoons butter, room temperature
200 grams / 6 strips back bacon
4 leaves lettuce, washed and rinsed
1 medium tomato, sliced
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
Handful of alfalfa sprouts
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Preheat your oven to 220/430 and lay your bacon strips on a baking tray.
- Place into the oven and bake for 6 minutes or until golden.
- Remove and flip the strips and bake for a further 6 minutes and golden on the edges.
- Place the strips onto paper towels to remove the grease.
- Butter the base of your bread and lay your lettuce down, place the sliced tomato on top.
- Add the alfalfa sprouts, sliced avocado and bacon on your sandwich.
- Spread the mayonnaise on the other half of the ciabatta and place on top of the bacon.
- Halve and serve.
- Dig in and enjoy!
Recipe by Roamingtaste
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 650 calories per serve
Keywords: lunch, sandwich