This classic Brazilian Brigadeiro recipe is a sweet treat featuring a rich and fudgy chocolate truffle center, coated in a layer of chocolate sprinkles.
Brigadeiro require little time and travel well, so are the perfect treat to bring along to a barbecue or dinner as they're small enough most won't be able to refuse one serving. In fact, most of the time when bringing a plate of anything, these disappear fast and are remembered by those who fall in love with them at first taste.
Table of Contents
Why you'll love these
Rich and Decadent Chocolate Flavor
Brigadeiro is a chocolate lover's dream come true. The combination of cocoa powder and condensed milk creates a velvety, rich chocolate flavor that melts in your mouth. Each bite is a taste of pure indulgence that will leave you craving for more.
Easy and Quick to Make
With only a few simple ingredients and minimal preparation time, Brigadeiro is a dessert that you can whip up in no time. Whether you're hosting a party or craving a sweet treat on a lazy afternoon, Brigadeiro is the perfect recipe that delivers maximum deliciousness with minimal effort.
Brigadeiro is a beloved sweet treat in Brazil and is sure to be a hit with your family, friends, and guests. Serve Brigadeiro at parties, potlucks, or any gathering, and watch as everyone's eyes light up with delight. These bite-sized delights are not only scrumptious but also visually appealing, making them an irresistible choice for any occasion.
History of Brigadeiro
The origins of the Brazilian fudge truffles named Brigadeiro are named so after an Air Force brigadier lands us back to Rio de Janeiro, seems this guy ticked all the physical boxes - tall, dark, handsome and very available. If the saying 'a way to a man's heart is through his stomach' is true then these will melt anyone's heart into love.
Ingredients and substitutions for the best Brigadeiro
- Sweetened condensed milk: Full fat sweetened condensed milk is essential here because it will set perfect during cooling.
- Cocoa Powder: The star ingredient here so you’ll want a nice high quality cocoa powder for a truly chocolate packed flavor. I do not recommend substituting melted chocolate in equal measure here as this can be quite dense, however, chocolate chips or chunks would work well as an addition.
- Butter: Room temperature unsalted butter is used here, though salted butter would also work.
- Salt: Sea salt is best here to add dimensional flavor to our truffles and rock or kosher salt also works well.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Brigadeiro:
Create the truffles: Place the sweetened condensed milk, salt and cocoa powder into a saucepan.
Simmer until thickened: Stirring consistently over medium heat until thickened.
Butta baby: Remove from the heat and stir in the butter until well incorporated.
Chill: Place in the firdge to chill.
Truffle time: Roll a tablespoon amount of the truffle mixture and roll into a ball.
Sprinkle: Roll in sprinkles until fully covered.
Serve: Place into a paper cup and repeat. Dig in and enjoy!
Equipment needed to make a batch
Saucepan: To cook the mixture for your truffles.
Small bowl: For the sprinkles.
Spoon: You can choose to make these whatever size you wish, however, a teaspoon is perfect to make one bite size truffles.
FAQ's for the best Brigadeiro
The brigadeiro are traditionally rolled into long cocoa sprinkles, though if you cannot find these in your local supermarket, other sprinkles can be subbed in.
Absolutely! While the traditional Brigadeiro recipe calls for cocoa powder, you can experiment with different flavors to customize your Brigadeiros. For example, you can add a hint of vanilla extract, shredded coconut, ground nuts, or even coffee to create unique variations of this delightful treat.
Brigadeiros can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. However, they are so delicious that they usually disappear much quicker than that!
Yes, Brigadeiros can be frozen for longer storage. Place them in a freezer-safe container or bag, separating each layer with parchment paper. They can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just make sure to thaw them at room temperature before serving.
More candy recipes you'll enjoy
- 414 milliliters can sweetened condensed milk
- 28 grams / ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 40 grams / 3 tablespoons butter cubed
- 70 grams / ½ cup sprinkles
- Place the sweetened condensed milk into a saucepan, alongside the salt and sift in the cocoa powder.
- Place on medium heat, stirring consistently as it simmers to ensure the mixture remains smooth and doesn't burn.
- Cook until thick and no longer sticking to the edges, approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter until melted and well combined.
- Refrigerate for 45 minutes, until well chilled.
- Roll in the sprinkles until fully covered and place into a paper cup.
- Repeat with the remaining truffle mixture until complete.
- Keep refrigerated until serving.
- Traditional sprinkles: The brigadeiro are traditionally rolled into long cocoa sprinkles, though if you cannot find these in your local supermarket, other sprinkles can be subbed in.
- Keeping your Brigadeiros: They can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Speeding up the cooling process: If you are short for time and have a large pot that you can fill with ice, you could place the brigadeiro saucepan into a pot of ice like a bain marie, stirring to cool evenly for 2 minutes and setting in the pot for 5 minutes to set before putting into the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Consistent scoop: A teaspoon works a charm here, however, the scoop used to create consistent truffles was 4 centimeters / 1.57 inches.
- You can freeze them: Place them in a freezer-safe container or bag, separating each layer with parchment paper. They can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just make sure to thaw them at room temperature before serving.
Subscribe to receive a free weekly newsletter using seasonal produce as well as exclusive content!
Made it and loved it?
If you have made this recipe, it would mean so much to leave a review below to help more people find this.