This Café Angelina’s Hot Chocolate recipe includes milk, heavy cream and chocolate for a thick and indulgent hot chocolate that will quickly transport you to Paris. If you have been to Paris, did you pop by Café Angelina whilst there?
This drink is so thick you feel you’re drinking liquid chocolate and it’s this way because it has really chocolate melted through minimal cream and milk. This Angelina Paris cafe hot chocolate is also so thick that when it cools its basically chocolate pudding without cornstarch or flour in sight thanks to that cream so is this also perfect cold!
Why you'll love this
This Chocolat L’Africain is the thickest hot chocolate you might ever make at home and it’s rich like liquid chocolate, but this is dessert in a cup!
Real chocolate is used here, no cocoa powder or hot chocolate mix - real proper chocolate and you can taste it!
If this lasts long enough to cool completely, it turns into lucious chocolate pudding.
Ingredients and substitutions for Café Angelina’s Hot Chocolate
- Cream: Heavy cream was used here thanks to being super thick and more luxurious but pouring cream would be perfect as well.
- Milk: Full fat dairy milk was used here and you could substitute with non dairy milk or skim milk
- Chocolate: 56% dark chocolate was used here because this is less sweet and higher quality.
- Sugar: Superfine or caster sugar is used here because of how easily it dissolves and keeps our mixture smooth. The original recipe uses confectioner’s or icing sugar and
- Salt: Sea salt or kosher salt was used here, this gives the hot chocolate depth of flavor.
See recipe card for quantities.
Equipment needed to make this
Grater, peeler or mandolin: We need nice fine shards or pieces of chocolate here so one of these will help give you the nice fine pieces that will melt easily and swiftly!
Saucepan: A small saucepan is best here because you don’t need much to create these!
Whisk: A whisk will help you create a nice smooth thick hot chocolate.
FAQ's for the best Café Angelina’s Hot Chocolate
Can I make my French Hot Chocolate ahead?
As this cools it will firm up to more of a pudding so this is best made just prior to serving, though you could finely chop the chocolate well ahead and keep it covered in a container.
More hot drinks you'll enjoy
Champurrado – Thick Mexican Hot Chocolate
How to make Café Angelina’s Hot Chocolate:
Place the milk, cream and sugar into a saucepan on medium heat, until bubbling start to form on the edges of your pan.
Remove and decrease the temperature, add in the chocolate and whisk to melt.
Return to the heat until the mixture is a beautiful chocolate color and no lumps of chocolate remain.
Remove from the heat and pour into your serving cups.
Top with a tablespoon of whipped cream and drink up!
Cafe Angelina’s Hot Chocolate
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 espresso size cups 1x
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: French
Transport yourself to Paris with this Cafe Angelina’s Chocolat L’Africain - Thick Hot Chocolate recipe that is dessert in a cup! Served perfectly in an espresso sized cup, a little goes a long way!
123 grams / ½ cup milk
120 grams / ½ cup heavy cream
30 grams / 2 tablespoons superfine/caster sugar
140 grams / 4.93 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped (see equipment section)
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup soft peaks whipped cream
- Place the milk, cream and sugar into a saucepan on medium heat, until bubbling start to form on the edges of your pan.
- Remove and decrease the temperature, add in the chocolate and whisk to melt.
- Return to the heat until the mixture is a beautiful chocolate color and no lumps of chocolate remain.
- Remove from the heat and pour into your serving cups.
- Top with a tablespoon of whipped cream and drink up!
Adapted from Chef Lovers
- Serving Size: 1 espresso cup size
- Calories: 356 calories per serve
Keywords: hot chocolate, non alcoholic drinks, french hot chocolate
Leave a Reply