The full of flavor in this Chocolate Layer Cake with a chocolate ganache frosting is the kind of fuss free layer cake that proves they don’t need a lot of time or bunch of whipping to create for a standout chocolate cake.
Chocolate Layer Cake
2 eggs, room temperature
100 grams / ½ cup superfine/caster sugar
175 grams / ¾ cup light brown sugar
160 grams / 2/3 cup buttermilk
111 grams / ½ cup brewed coffee
59 grams / ¼ cup boiling water
114 grams / ½ cup sunflower oil
83 grams / 3/4 cup cocoa powder
214 grams / 1 1/3 cups plain flour, sifted
6 grams / 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
3 grams / ½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea or kosher salt
345 grams / 1 1/2 cups - 1 tablespoon heavy cream
100 grams / 1/2 cup superfine/caster sugar
220 grams / 7.76 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
Chocolate layer cake
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and line the base of a baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Place the eggs, sugars, buttermilk and sunflower oil into a bowl and combine with a whisk until the eggs are broken up and smooth.
- In a small separate bowl, place the coffee, boiling water and cocoa powder and whisk until smooth.
- Pour into the buttermilk mixture and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, place the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and stir to combine with a fork (this will help remove large lumps).
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and combine until your batter is smooth.
- Pour into your cake tin and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove and allow to cool before removing from the tin.
- Turn onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the ganache frosting, place the heavy cream into a heatproof bowl alongside the sugar on medium heat until simmering at the edges.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate until the mixture is smooth (if the chocolate doesn’t melt, simply return the bowl to the hot water in the saucepan to warm it up.
- Trim the tops of your cakes to ensure they are level and spoon 2 tablespoons of the loose ganache on top of each cake and spread across the entire top, to coat your cakes.
- Set the ganache aside or chill for 1 hour until it is thick (like Nutella).
- Remove the ganache and spread a 1/4-inch layer of ganache onto the bottom layer evenly.
- Place the next cake layer on top and spoon approximately 1/2 cup of ganache on top and spread out evenly in a thin layer over the entire cake, scraping the spatula clean on a different bowl so any crumbs do not get mixed into your remaining ganache.
- Smooth out and ensure you do not mix the crumb coating portion into the remaining buttercream.
- Place the cake into the fridge to set for 30 minutes or set at a cool room temperature for 1 hour.
- Serve up and slice.
- Dig in!
Recipe by Roamingtaste
- Calories: 496 calories per serve
Keywords: chocolate, layer cake, buttermilk baking