Crispy on the edges and full of flavor, this Oven Roasted Carrots recipe is a perfect side for anytime of year, but especially when young carrots with bright greens can be found at your grocer.
Growing up only eating boiled carrots meant this produce was often one that wasn’t considered very tasty. Boiled vegetables were very much a boomer generation way to cook most produce for dinner and that is uninspiring and quite frankly, means you lose so much of the flavor. Something that doesn’t happen when you roast vegetables, it’s like you intensify their flavor through the high heat of your oven.
Why you’ll love this
Sweet and savory
The carrots natural sweetness is intensified with the addition of honey and the savory yogurt base compliments beautifully.
Honestly, the yogurt base is perfect accompanying any roasted vegetables thanks to the savoriness it adds to the overall dish.
Ingredients and substitutions for the best Oven Roasted Carrots
- Carrots: Young carrots that still have their tops were used here for freshness. You can use carrots without that are a bit more mature which are usually most easily sourced, but if they are large thick carrots, it’s best to halve lengthwise before roasting.
- Honey: Runny honey was used here that has a lightly fragrant sweetness to it, however, you could replace with maple syrup, if you prefer and/or don’t have honey on hand.
- Yogurt: Greek yogurt was used thanks to it’s thick creaminess and tart flavor that helps keep this dish nice and savory.
- Cilantro: Fresh cilantro was used to add a complimentary flavor without the bitterness you find in carrot greens. You could substitute in equal measure with carrot greens, but maybe add a pinch more salt to the yogurt mixture to help offset the bitterness.
- Lemon Juice: The acidity of lemon juice helps to give our dish the real balance of flavor and keeps the yogurt mixture nice and savory.
- Cranberries: Dried cranberries are used here to compliment the sweetness in our carrots, however, you could replace or even add in pomegranate seeds with the cranberries.
- Goat’s cheese: The tartness in goat’s cheese adds a great creaminess to round out the dish, but you could substitute with feta or even blue cheese here.
See recipe card for quantities.
Equipment needed to make this
Roasting dish: A nice large roasting dish works best to fit those carrots in.
Bowls: You’ll need one small bowl and one medium bowl to mix the glaze and yogurt in.
Large serving plate: To serve this up!
More carrot recipes you'll love
How to make Oven Roasted Carrots:
Preheat your oven to 220C/430F.
Place the carrots in your baking dish and set aside.
For the glaze, place the honey, olive oil, thyme and salt into a small bowl.
Spoon the glaze evenly over the carrots and place in the oven to bake for 40 minutes, stirring at the 20 minute mark to ensure even roasting.
Meanwhile, place the yogurt, cilantro, salt and lemon juice into a bowl and stir to combine.
Spoon onto your serving plate, smearing evenly.
Remove the carrots from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Place onto the serving plate evenly.
Sprinkle over the dried cranberries and goat’s cheese and top with any remaining chopped cilantro.
These oven roasted carrots are slightly charred on the edges and are best served on a yogurt base that lifts the savoriness of this side up perfectly.
15 grams / 3 teaspoons honey
20 grams / 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
Handful thyme, stems removed
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 kilo / 2 pounds carrots, washed and greens trimmed
285 grams / 1 cup Greek yogurt
Handful fresh cilantro, finely chopped
½ teaspoon sea salt
14 grams / 1 tablespoon lemon juice
24 grams / 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
28 grams / 2 tablespoons goat’s cheese, crumbled
- Preheat your oven to 220C/430F.
- Place the carrots in your baking dish and set aside.
- For the glaze, place the honey, olive oil, thyme and salt into a small bowl.
- Spoon the glaze evenly over the carrots and place in the oven to bake for 40 minutes, stirring at the 20 minute mark to ensure even roasting.
- Meanwhile, place the yogurt, cilantro, salt and lemon juice into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Spoon onto your serving plate, smearing evenly.
- Remove the carrots from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Place onto the serving plate evenly.
- Sprinkle over the dried cranberries and goat’s cheese and top with any remaining chopped cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe by Roamingtaste
- Calories: 225 calories per serve