Fluffy coconut center with a crunchy macaroon style outer and topped with a lemon curd icing that is simple and requires little effort and no piping.
150 grams/5.3 ounces butter, softened
1 1/2 cups superfine/caster sugar
3 eggs, separated
3/4 cup coconut milk
2 cups desiccated coconut
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups confectioner’s/icing sugar
25 grams/2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 tablespoon lemon curd
1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350F and greaseproof a bundt tin.
- Place the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat on medium until pale and well combined, approximately 2 minutes. Add in the egg yolks and whip until well mixed.
- Add the coconut milk and desiccated coconut in, beating until just combined.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl and beat on low until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form and gently fold the coconut mixture into the egg whites in two batches until it is a smooth mixture and fully incorporated.
- Spoon into the prepared cake tin and tap a few times to release any air bubbles.
- Place in the oven and bake until golden for 35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the icing, place the confectioner’s sugar, butter, lemon curd and milk into a bowl and whip until smooth and loose, you don’t want it to be too runny, but you want it to be a heavy drip as it comes off the spoon.
- Spread over the cake and allow to set for 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
Note: I candied thin slices of lemon only for the pictures, these aren’t necessary when you make this, though they do add a real zesty flavor when consuming.
Recipe by Roamingtaste