Classy Creme Brulée lends itself to the tea infusion of earthy Earl Grey for a dessert for two which can easily be made ahead to make that famous caramelized sugar topping for serving time.
177 milliliters / 3/4 cup pouring cream
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons loose earl gray or 2 tea bags
3 egg yolks, room temperature
50 grams / 1/4 cup superfine/caster sugar, plus 8 grams / 1/2 tablespoon for topping
- Preheat your oven to 150C/325F.
- Place the cream, salt and earl gray in a saucepan and heat on low heat until hot.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks and sugar until light.
- Remove the cream from the heat and set aside for five minutes to steep, and cool. Remove the earl gray tea.
- Pour a quarter of the infused cream into the egg mixture, stirring to combine, repeat adding the remaining cream into the eggs until fully incorporated.
- Place your ramekins into a larger baking dish, pouring half the earl gray cream mixture into each.
- Pour boiling water into the larger baking dish until it reaches half way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Place in the oven until only the centers are jiggly, approximately 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and refrigerate for minimum 1 hour.
- Just prior to serving, spoon enough sugar for a thin layer over the top of each custard and place under a broiler or blowtorch until the sugar has dissolved, is golden and slightly burnt on the edges.
- Serve and tap to dig in!
Adapted from the NY Times
- Calories: 484 calories per serve