There is nothing on earth like biting into a soft, chewy and salty German Pretzels recipe, particularly one that you've made yourself!
275 milliliters / 1 + 2 tablespoons cup lukewarm water
14 grams / 2 packages / 4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
640 grams / 4 cups plain flour
4 grams / 1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons sea or kosher salt
45 grams / 3 tablespoons butter, softened
8 cups water
115 grams / 1/2 cup baking soda
Course sea salt
- Place the lukewarm water and yeast in a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the flour, sugar and salt in a separate bowl and stir together, creating a well in the center.
- Pour in the bubbly yeast mixture, add the softened butter, combining until a dough has formed.
- Knead until it is a smooth dough, approximately 8 minutes by hand or 5 minutes with a hand mixer.
- Add 1 tablespoon neutral oil to the base of your bowl and add the dough, covering and allowing to rise for 30 minutes.
- Cut into 6 equal slices and roll out to 23-25 inches.
- To form the pretzel, shape into a 'U' and twist twice, bringing the twisted ends down at the '4 and 8 o'clock' marks on the base of your dough.
- Dab a fingertip of water underneath the end and press to lightly into the dough to stick down.
- Place on a tray and refrigerate for an hour, uncovered.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400F and line 2 flat pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Next bring the 8 cups of water to a rolling boil in a large pot.
- Add the baking soda carefully as it will bubble a lot, but die down.
- Add one pretzel into the water and boil on 1 side for 10 seconds before careful flipping over and continuing with the other side.
- Remove and set on the prepared tray, continue par boiling the remaining pretzels and place each on your baking tray's, allowing 2 inches between each.
- Sprinkle over your course sea salt and place in the oven to bake until they are a deep golden color, approximately 24 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Enjoy, with a little mustard on the side.
Adapted from Amandascookin (and several other places)
- Serving Size: 1 large pretzel or 2 small pretzels
- Calories: 451 calories per serve
Keywords: german bread, snack