Indulge in a burst of fresh flavors with our delicious Waldorf Salad recipe that's perfect for any occasion. Made with a mix of crisp apples, sweet grapes, crunchy celery, and walnuts, this salad is topped off with a creamy and tangy dressing that will leave your taste buds wanting more. Our easy-to-follow full recipe and step-by-step instructions that will have you impressing your guests with this crowd-pleasing salad.
Why you'll love this
Fresh and Delicious
Waldorf Salad is a classic dish that features fresh and crisp ingredients such as apples, celery, and walnuts. The combination of sweet and savory flavors with a creamy dressing is sure to satisfy your taste buds and leave you feeling satisfied.
This Waldorf salad is loaded with healthy ingredients such as fruits, vegetables, and nuts, making it a nutritious and filling meal. It is a perfect choice for anyone looking for a healthy and satisfying lunch or dinner option.
Easy to Make
This recipe is quick and easy to make, making it a perfect choice for busy weeknights. With simple instructions and minimal cooking time, you can have a delicious and healthy meal on the table in no time.
History of Waldorf salad
The Waldorf salad is synonymous with the one and only Waldorf-Astoria hotel in New York City, but the name that should be known when it comes to this salad is Oscar Tschirky, the maitre d’hotel, who created the salad in 1896 for what is now a dish served on menus across the United States.
Ingredients and substitutions for Waldorf salad
- Chicken: Free range chicken breast was used here because they include less hormones and water making the meat more flavorful. If you cannot afford free range, you can make the salad without chicken.
- Salad: Gem lettuce is nice and crisp but still has the flavor of plain old iceberg. The salad greens add a nice crunchy and variety with baby spinach, Swiss chard and arugula used here. You could absolutely substitute with a mixture of lettuces here, if you prefer. Make this your own!
- Apple: Crisp and juicy Jazz apples were used here, but Gala, Honeycrisp, Pink Lady or even Granny Smith’s would work perfectly here.
- Celery and grapes: The crunchy and sweet ingredients to make a Waldorf salad
- Mayonnaise: Kewpie mayo is the only one we have on hand in our house, but honestly, any full fat mayonnaise you have works great here.
- Olive oil and apple cider vinegar: Extra virgin olive oil was used due to the lack of processing that takes place in the oil process. The fruity undertones compliment the salad. The oil helps thin out and bind with the fat in the mayonnaise to create a smooth dressing. The apple cider vinegar adds the essential acidity and creates a full bodied dressing to give depth of flavor.
- Walnuts: Adding crunch, plain walnuts were used here, though you could substitute with pecans , if you prefer.
See recipe card for quantities.
Equipment needed to make this
Saucepan: A heavy frying pan or skillet cook our chicken nice and evenly.
Small bowl: To make the smooth dressing, a small bowl or pour jug works best here.
Chopping boards: To prepare all your produce ingredients and a separate one for the cooked chicken.
More salads you’ll love
How to make Waldorf Salad:
Heat a heavy based frying pan on medium and place the chicken breast into the pan.
Cook until lightly browned on both sides, approximately 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, toss the lettuce and greens evenly over your serving plate.
For the dressing, place the mayonnaise, olive oil and apple cider vinegar into a small bowl and whisk until it is smooth.
Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting into cubes.
Place the chicken on top of the salad evenly.
Scatter the celery, grapes and walnuts over the greens.
Lay quarters of the apples on top and crumble the blue cheese over.
Drizzle the dressing over the entire salad and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 (as a side salad) 1x
- Category: Lunch, Sides
- Cuisine: American
Crunchy, fresh and lightly sweet Waldorf salad recipe has everything you want in a side salad or even as a lunch.
350 grams / 12.3 ounces chicken breast, room temperature
2 heads Gem lettuce, washed and roughly cut
150 grams / 1 bag mixed greens, washed
2 celery stalks, chopped into ¼ inch pieces
100 grams / ¼ pound grapes, halved
50 grams / ½ cup walnuts, halved
2 apples, cored and finely sliced
30 grams / 2 tablespoons Blue cheese
76 grams / ⅓ cup mayonnaise
28 grams / 2 tablespoons olive oil
14 grams / 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Heat a heavy based frying pan on medium and place the chicken breast into the pan.
- Cook until lightly browned on both sides, approximately 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the lettuce and greens evenly over your serving plate.
- For the dressing, place the mayonnaise, olive oil and apple cider vinegar into a small bowl and whisk until it is smooth.
- Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting into cubes.
- Place the chicken on top of the salad evenly.
- Scatter the celery, grapes and walnuts over the greens.
- Lay quarters of the apples on top and crumble the blue cheese over.
- Drizzle the dressing over the entire salad and serve immediately.
- Dig in!
Recipe by Roamingtaste
- Calories: 305 calories per serve
Keywords: salad, fall recipe, salad with fruit
Leave a Reply