This irresistible Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats recipe features just a few ingredients, including marshmallows, brown butter and Rice Krispies cereal. These treats are a classic favorite that are perfect for any occasion. Whether you're hosting a party or just looking for a sweet treat, our Rice Krispie Treats are sure to be a hit.
Growing up, the only person who made these were my Nana (Grandma for those who don’t know) or they would appear alongside all the other treats at kid’s parties. So these treats were never something I much cared for…but once you’re an adult, cereal makes for a great and nostalgic way to tap into your childhood, so here we are.
Why you’ll love these
Rich and Nutty Flavor
The brown butter in this recipe adds a rich, nutty flavor that takes these Rice Krispie Treats to the next level. It's the perfect way to elevate this classic treat without losing the nostalgia factor.
Easy to Make
These treats are just as easy to make as the classic version. With just a few simple ingredients, you can create this delicious treat in minimal time.
Perfect for Any Occasion
Whether you're looking for a fun dessert for a party or a sweet snack for your afternoon coffee break, these brown butter Rice Krispie Treats are a great option. They're a crowd-pleaser that's sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.
Ingredients and substitutions for Rice Krispie Treats
- Butter: Unsalted butter is used for the browned or caramelized butter. Salted butter works as a fine substitute, just leave out any salt suggested in the recipe. See FAQ’s for the amount of butter you’ll need for the browned butter.
- Marshmallows: For a better and more even melt, mini white marshmallows are best here. If you cannot source any, simply cut plain white marshmallows into a smaller size so they heat quicker in the hot melty butter.
- Vanilla extract and salt: Pure vanilla extract acts as a flavor enhancer that helps to give depth alongside that salt.
- Malted milk powder: Malted milk powder gives depth of flavor that is complimentary to the overall dish. If this is difficult to source, you could substitute in equal measure with milk powder, or simply omit altogether.
- Rice Krispies: You want your cereal to be fresh, so they retain their crunch.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats:
Line a square baking tin with greaseproof paper and brush with 1 tablespoon neutral oil.
Place the brown butter into a large pot on medium high heat.
Remove from the heat once melted and toss in the marshmallows, stirring to melt evenly until smooth.
Add the milk powder, vanilla extract and kosher salt and stir together.
Toss in the rice krispies and fold to coat evenly with the melty marshmallows.
Spoon into your baking tin and spread out evenly (not pressing firmly down).
Cover and set aside to firm up, approximately 2 hours.
Remove and slice into even squares.
Serve up and dig in!
Equipment needed to make this
Greaseproof paper: Lining your tins will make getting the treat out a breeze!
Heavy based pot: If you intend to make the brown butter just before making the treats, it’s best done in a large pot where you can then toss in all the other ingredients.
Offset spatula: This will help smooth out your treats in the tin and spread out evenly.
FAQ's for the best Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
How much butter is needed to create brown butter for the cookies?
As is the case with browned butter, you will need 160 grams / 5.65 ounces to create 130 grams / 4.6 ounces brown butter with the loss of moisture.
How do I brown butter?
Check out this detailed guide for browning your butter which includes a video.
More brown butter recipes you'll lovePrint
The ultimate nostalgic no bake treat comes in the form of these Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats which include marshmallows and a little malted milk powder for a modern take on this classic treat.
130 grams / 4.6 ounces browned butter
450 grams / 15.9 ounces mini marshmallows
8 grams / 3 teaspoons malted milk powder, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon sea or kosher salt
175 grams / 6 cups Rice Krispies
- Line a square baking tin with greaseproof paper and brush with 1 tablespoon neutral oil.
- Place the brown butter into a large pot on medium high heat.
- Remove from the heat once melted and toss in the marshmallows, stirring to melt evenly until smooth.
- Add the milk powder, vanilla extract and kosher salt and stir together.
- Toss in the rice krispies and fold to coat evenly with the melty marshmallows.
- Spoon into your baking tin and spread out evenly (not pressing firmly down).
- Cover and set aside to firm up, approximately 2 hours.
- Remove and slice into even squares.
- Serve up and dig in!
Recipe by Roamingtaste
- Serving Size: 1 rice krispie
- Calories: 195 calories per treat
Keywords: no bake, cereal, eggless