This traditional and delicious Švestkový tác - Czech Plum Cake recipe showcases juicy and tangy plums nestled in a tender cake batter, enhanced with an easy streusel.
This easy-to-follow recipe guide will show you how to recreate this delightful cake in your own kitchen. Perfect for a family gathering or a sweet treat, this Czech Plum Cake brings the taste of Europe to your table.
Why you’ll love this
Fresh and Fruity
Our Czech Plum Cake recipe includes a light batter with halved plums pressed directly therein and a light streusel scatted on top for a great snack cake that is perfect for stone fruit season.
Easy to Make
Despite its impressive taste, this Czech Plum Cake is actually quite easy to make. The step-by-step recipe guide will walk you through every step, so you can create this delicious cake with confidence. Thanks to it's rustic style, you don't need to be a experienced baker to make a successful version of this cake.
Ingredients and substitutions for Czech Plum Cake
- Plain flour: Plain flour or all purpose is best because it helps give the cake it’s light texture and nice crumb. You also don’t want to overwork the batter so you don’t end up with a firm cake texture.
- Sugar: As a result of using superfine or caster sugar, the nice fine granules dissolve into our cake and add sweetness without adding additional flavors.
- Egg: The egg adds structure and binds everything together and are the core to our cake.
- Milk: Whole milk was used here, however, you could substitute with skim or dairy free. This helps add moisture alongside the oil and eggs and fat alongside the eggs which gives our cake its beautiful texture.
- Oil: A neutral oil like sunflower works best here to add fat to our batter without adding additional flavor.
- Plums: Fresh were used here and are best because they aren’t too sweet. If you can obtain frozen plums, these would also work.
See recipe card for quantities.
Equipment needed to make this
Hand or stand mixer: To whip the cake batter into a nice and fluffy texture, it is best done with an electric beater, though this can be done by hand.
Mixing bowls: Two medium mixing bowl’s are perfect to mix your cake batter and that crumble topping.
Greaseproof paper: To line your cake tin, it will make things easiest to line the base with paper.
Square tin: A 18×18 cm or 7×7 inch square baking tin works well here, though a rectangle tin would also work well.
More plum recipes you’ll love
How to make Czech Plum Cake:
Preheat your oven to 180C/350F and line a square or rectangle baking tin with greaseproof paper.
Toss the flour, baking powder and sugar into medium bowl and stir together.
Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, oil and add the egg.
Whisk to form a smooth batter and spoon into your baking tin.
Press your halved plums into the batter cut side up.
Toss the sugar and flour into a small bowl and stir together.
Add the butter and stir together to form a rough streusel.
Sprinkle over the plums and place into the oven.
Bake for 30 minutes until it’s golden.
Remove and allow to cool.
Slice and serve.
This traditional and delicious Švestkový tá? - Czech Plum Cake recipe showcases juicy and tangy plums nestled in a tender cake batter, enhanced with an easy streusel.
238 grams / 1 ¾ cups plain flour
4 grams / 1 teaspoon baking powder
100 grams / ½ cup superfine/caster sugar
155 milliliters / ⅔ cup milk
50 milliliters / ¼ cup - 1 tablespoon neutral oil
1 large egg, room temperature
1 kilo / 16 medium plums (measure in grams/pounds), halved and pitted
60 grams / ⅓ cup superfine/caster sugar
120 grams / ¾ cup plain flour
65 grams / 2.3 ounces butter, softened
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F and line a square or rectangle baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Toss the flour, baking powder and sugar into medium bowl and stir together.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, oil and add the egg.
- Whisk to form a smooth batter and spoon into your baking tin.
- Press your halved plums into the batter cut side up.
- Toss the sugar and flour into a small bowl and stir together.
- Add the butter and stir together to form a rough streusel.
- Sprinkle over the plums and place into the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes until it’s golden.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Slice and serve.
- Dig in!
Adapted from Vareni.cz
- Calories: 214 calories per serve
Keywords: plum baking, czech recipes, stone fruit cake