Partly inspired by Apple Crumble Slices you’d find in a New Zealand bakery and partly by my mother’s homemade apple slice, this buttery melt-in-your-mouth recipe makes the perfect envelope for the cooler months of Fall.
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons corn flour
1/2 cup confectioner’s/icing sugar
170 grams butter, chilled and cubed
5 medium gala apples, peeled, cored and cubed
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons superfine/caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350F and greaseproof a slice tin.
- Place the flours and confectioner’s sugar in a bowl and stir to combine. Make a well in the center and add the butter. Combine with a fork until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Pour two thirds of the crumb mixture into the base of a slice tin and flatten down tightly. Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until lightly golden on top. Remove and set aside.
- Place the apples into a pot with the water on medium-low heat, add in the sugar and stir through. Cook for a further 5 minutes or the apples begin to look translucent on the edges.
- Spoon the apples over the base and spread evenly.
- Press the remaining crumb mixture together and sprinkle over the apples. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until lightly golden on top.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Slice and serve.
Recipe by Roamingtaste