Enjoy the flavors of autumn with this delightful Apple Bars recipe which are bursting with the natural sweetness of fresh apples and a melt-in-your-mouth shortbread.
Perfect for any occasion, these bars are a crowd-pleasing treat that can be enjoyed as a snack, dessert, or even for breakfast. Get ready to savor the taste of fall with these irresistible Apple Bars.
Table of Contents
Why you'll love these
Bursting with Fresh Apples
Our Apple Bars are loaded with the natural sweetness and tartness of fresh apples. Each bite offers a burst of juicy apple flavor that will leave you wanting more.
Irresistible Melt-in-Your-Mouth Shortbread
The buttery shortbread base and crumble topping adds a beautiful texture to these bars. It perfectly complements the soft and moist apple filling, creating a harmonious blend of flavors and textures.
Ingredients and substitutions for the best Apple Bars
- Butter: Plain unsalted was used here, though you could substitute with salted, though you might want to omit the salt from the dough. You could substitute in equal measure with non dairy butter, however, I have not tried this so cannot be sure of the outcome.
- Flour: Plain or all purpose flour is best for a nice light pastry, though you could use bread flour, if that is all you have on hand.
- Sugar: The confectioner’s/icing sugar contributes to our melt-in-your-mouth texture in the base and crumble. Whilst the superfine or caster sugar helps not only add sweetness to our filling, draw the liquid from the apples resulting in a tender center.
- Corn starch: Sometimes termed cornflour in certain parts of the globe. Corn starch is what gives our crumb that tender texture.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Apple Bars:
Make that shortcrust base: Toss all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
Butter crumble: Add the cubed butter and cut into the flour mixture until it resembles rough breadcrumbs.
Base it: Pour two thirds of the shortcrust mix and press firmly to smooth out.
Bake: Bake the crust until lightly golden.
Cook the apples: Place the apples and sugar into a saucepan on low heat until lightly soft.
Toss em: Add the apples to the cooled shortcrust base and spread out evenly.
Crumble: Press the remaining shortbread mix together and crumble over the apples evenly.
Golden bake: Bake until golden.
Cool down: Remove and allow to cool fully.
Slice and serve: Slice it up evenly and serve. Enjoy!
Equipment needed to make a batch
Greaseproof paper: Lining your tin will make getting your Apple Bars out a breeze!
Offset spatula: A small spatula helps smooth out the shortbread base.
Mixing bowl: You’ll need a medium mixing bowl to make the shortbread.
Saucepan: A small saucepan to cook the apples.
Baking tin: A 18x18 cm or 7x7 inch square baking tin works well here, though a rectangle tin would also work well. Note, the larger the tin from the one used here, the thinner your base and curd will be.
FAQ's for the best Apple Bars
Absolutely! One of the great things about our Apple Bars recipe is that you can use a variety of apple types. Experiment with different varieties like Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or Fuji to find your favorite flavor combination.
Yes, our Apple Bars are incredibly versatile and can be enjoyed for various occasions. Whether it's a cozy family gathering, a potluck with friends, or a sweet treat for yourself, these bars are a crowd-pleasing choice.
Definitely! This Apple Bars recipe can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days. They also freeze well, allowing you to prepare a batch ahead of time for future enjoyment.
More apple recipes you'll enjoy
- 240 grams / 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 18 grams / 2 tablespoons corn flour
- 50 grams / ½ cup confectioner’s/icing sugar
- 170 grams / 6 ounces butter chilled and cubed
- 5 medium gala or granny smith apples peeled, cored and cubed
- 60 milliliters / ¼ cup water
- 30 grams / 2 tablespoons superfine/caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350F and greaseproof a slice tin.
- Place the flours and confectioner’s sugar in a bowl and stir to combine. Make a well in the center and add the butter. Combine with a fork until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Pour two thirds of the crumb mixture into the base of a slice tin and flatten down tightly. Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until lightly golden on top. Remove and set aside.
- Place the apples, sugar and water into a saucepan on low to medium heat and cover.
- Cook until simmering and the apples are beginning to look translucent on the edges, approximately 10 minutes.
- Spoon the apples over the base and spread evenly.
- Press the remaining crumb mixture together and sprinkle over the apples. Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until golden on top.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Slice and serve.
- Using different apples: One of the great things about our Apple Bars recipe is that you can use a variety of apple types. Experiment with different varieties like Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or Fuji to find your favorite flavor combination.
- Sweetening up your apple bars without sugar: There isn't much sugar in these bars to try and keep that natural apple flavor as strong as possible so the best option is sweeter apples available in your area which will naturally sweeten these up without any extra sugar.
- Make ahead: This recipe can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days. They also freeze well, allowing you to prepare a batch ahead of time for future enjoyment.
Subscribe to receive a free weekly newsletter using seasonal produce as well as exclusive content!
Made it and loved it?
If you have made this recipe, it would mean so much to leave a review below to help more people find this.