These fluffy and flavorful Griddle Cakes, also known as Drop Scones are sure to become your new favorite morning treat! They have few ingredients and a stack is ready in 20 minutes, making this ideal for days where you're craving pancakes but don't have much time.
Experience the joy of fluffy perfection, versatility, quick preparation, and a family-friendly treat that will leave everyone smiling.
Table of Contents
Why you'll love these
This griddle cakes recipe guarantees light and fluffy pancakes that will melt in your mouth. With the perfect balance of ingredients, you'll achieve a tender texture that is simply irresistible.
Versatility at Its Best
Also known as Drop Scones, these are incredibly versatile, allowing you to customize them to your liking. Whether you prefer classic buttermilk griddle cakes, blueberry-infused delights, or even chocolate chip-filled indulgence, these pancakes can easily adapt to your cravings.
What is a griddle cake?
Known by many names from Drop Scones to Scotch pancakes. A griddle cake is a type of pancake, typically cooked on a griddle or a flat cooking surface. It is known for its thick, fluffy texture and golden-brown appearance.
Ingredients and substitutions for Griddle Cakes
- Flour: Plain or all purpose flour helps give our pancakes structure and forms the batter to cook nice pancakes. Plain flour additionally helps to soak up a little of that milk and egg moisture giving us a nice smooth batter that isn’t too runny. If you prefer, you can substitute with self raising flour in equal measure and leave out the baking powder.
- Sugar: As a result of using superfine or caster sugar, the nice fine granules dissolve into our batter and add sweetness without adding additional flavors to the batter. You could substitute with light brown sugar or raw sugar, though this might affect the flavor of the pancakes.
- Eggs: As well as adding structure to the pancakes, the eggs bind everything together so are essential.
- Milk: Whole milk was used here and helps add moisture to our pancakes and balance out the flavors from eggs for the moisture in our batter. It also gives it the light result without becoming stodgy. You could substitute with creamy non dairy milk of your preference.
- Baking powder: This helps our pancakes rise and gives them that fluffy interior.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Griddle Cakes:
Stir the dry ingredients: Stir the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
Wet ingredients: Add the egg and whisk in the milk to form a batter.
Heat: Butter in a heavy based frying pan or skillet on medium heat until bubbling.
Ladleful: Drop a ladleful of batter and cook until bubbling and golden, flipping to cook the remaining side.
Serve: Plate up a stack with a little drizzle of Scottish honey.
Enjoy: Dig in, whilst hot.
Equipment needed to make this
Mixing bowls: A medium mixing bowl is perfect to mix your batter, however, you will need a second bowl or a measuring jug to mix your wet ingredients before creating the thick batter.
Whisk: You only need a whisk to form the smooth batter thanks to adding the wet ingredients into the dry.
Heavy based frying pan: A heavy based frying pan will heat well and keep the heat, even on a low temperature to make those outer edges golden and resulting in fluffy pancakes.
FAQ's for the best Griddle Cakes
Absolutely! Griddle cakes are highly customizable. You can add ingredients like blueberries, chocolate chips, or even spices like cinnamon for extra flavor. Feel free to experiment and make them your own!
Yes, griddle cakes are quick and easy to make. The batter comes together in minutes, and the pancakes cook relatively fast on the griddle. It's a perfect option for a delicious breakfast that doesn't require hours in the kitchen.
More pancake recipes you’ll love
- 214 grams / 1 ⅓ cups plain flour
- 6 grams / 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 75 grams / ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon superfine/caster sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 120 milliliters / ½ cup milk
- Place the flour, baking powder and sugar into a bowl and stir together, forming a well
- Add the egg and whisk in the milk, adding in a slow stream to form a batter.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of butter in a heavy based frying pan or skillet on medium heat until it’s bubbling.
- Drop a ladleful of batter into the skillet, cooking until it’s bubbling and golden, flipping to cook the remaining side.
- Serve a stack with a little drizzle of Scottish honey.
- Dig in, whilst hot.
- Thick batter: Unlike most other pancake batter, the griddle cake batter is much thicker, but that helps it stay on the spot on your pan and rise, so don’t be tempted to mess with extra liquids if you’ve not made a stack before.
- A griddle or heavy based frying pan is best: They help to keep the heat steady, even on a low temperature to make those outer edges golden and resulting in fluffy pancakes.
- Customizing your griddle cakes: You can add ingredients like blueberries, chocolate chips, or even spices like cinnamon for extra flavor. Feel free to experiment and make them your own!
Subscribe to receive a free weekly newsletter using seasonal produce as well as exclusive content!
Made it and loved it?
If you have made this recipe, it would mean so much to leave a review below to help more people find this.